Can I come to Ireland to work?

If you are a national of a country which is not a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) and you wish to work in Ireland, you will require permission from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Innovation to do so.

NOTE: Citizens of Romania and Bulgaria may require an employment permit.

For full information on employment permits please visit the Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation's website at

Please note that the visa application process and the employment permit application process are separate. The granting of an employment permit does not necessarily guarantee that a Visa will be issued.

If you have been granted an employment permit you should apply for a visa through your local Irish Embassy, Consulate, Honorary Consulate or Visa Office.


 July 2011