Check if you are an Irish citizen by birth or descent
You may be an Irish citizen (or entitled to citizenship) based on when and where you, your parents or your grandparents/great-grandparents were born - or for how long your parents lived in Ireland before your birth.
2. About your parents, grandparents or great-grandparents
- One of my parents was born on the island of Ireland, including Northern Ireland
- One of my parents was a foreign national who was legally resident on the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) for 3-out-of-4 years immediately before I was born on the island of Ireland
- One of my grandparents or great-grandparents was born on the island of Ireland, including Northern Ireland
- If you can select [a], choose it first
If you can select only [b] or [c], choose [c] first
1. When were you born?
Note: This tool is for guidance only. Read the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Acts to check your entitlement to citizenship.