Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Immigration policy & guidance

Immigration & permission system

About immigration permission

You must apply for immigration permission if you wish to stay in Ireland longer than 3 months.

Entering Ireland at border control

You must report to an immigration officer at border control before you enter the country.

Stamps, immigration permission & conditions

If you are given permission to remain in Ireland, an immigration officer will place a stamp in your passport. Each stamp has conditions.

Managing your permission

Application Reference Numbers & Person Identity Numbers

A Person Identity Number is created for you when you first make an application to INIS. An Application Reference Number is created everytime you submit a new application.

Update your personal details, eg change of name

Apply for a 'change of name licence' from INIS if you formally change your name.

Immigration policies

Policy on family reunification for non-EU/EEA and non-Swiss citizens

This policy applies to all family reunification decisions, eg spouses, children, parents.

EU, EEA & single market

Countries in EU, EEA & single market

Countries in the EU and EEA are part of a single market that allows free movement for citizens. Switzerland has an agreement that extends the single market to include it.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 9 December 2016