Permission to study

Apply for permission to study in Ireland via the schemes or programmes described below. If you are a full-time student and wish to do an internship in Ireland, find out how to apply for permission.

Find out how to prepare for border control, if you need a visa & more. These can affect your application in important ways.

3 months or less

Request temporary permission to study in Ireland based on the rules for short term study when you arrive at border control.

Check your immigration roadmap to find out how to prepare.

More than 3 months

You must have permission to study in Ireland, including for:

  • Semester abroad at an Irish university
  • English or Irish language
  • Degree, master's degree, national diploma or PhD

You must enroll in and pay for your course of study before you travel to Ireland. You must choose a course from the official Interim List of Eligible Programmes only (except for semester abroad).

Read a longer description about how to apply for permission to study.

Accountancy students, including ACCA

Apply for permission based on Immigration Rules for Trainee Accountants.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 9 December 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page