Permission to Remain for non-EEA nationals

You need Permission to Remain in Ireland if you are a non-EU/EEA and non-Swiss national and you wish to stay here for longer than 3 months.

Permission to Remain

Permission to Remain is a statement of the conditions on which you are permitted to remain in Ireland and also indicates the duration of your permission.

Permission to Remain is given on behalf of the Minister for Justice and Equality in the form of a stamp (endorsement) in your passport.

A residency document (Certificate of Registration) may also be issued for the same period of time as the stamp (endorsement) placed in your passport.

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss national but your spouse or dependant is not, they must apply for Permission to Remain.

How to obtain Permission to Remain

When you arrive in Ireland you will be given:

  • Leave to enter Ireland.
  • Permission to Remain for a particular purpose allowing you to remain for a period (which may be up to three months).

If you wish to remain beyond the period granted by an Immigration Officer, you are required to obtain the permission of the Minister for Justice and Equality.

This can be done by reporting to your local Superintendent's Office in An Garda Síochána (Irish Police) in the district in which you reside.

In Dublin, you must report to the Burgh Quay Registration Office.

Note: If you are categorised as a 'Visa Required National who entered Ireland using a C Visit Visa, you cannot have your permission. You must leave and reapply for entry.

Documents you will need

You will need to provide the following documents with your application for Permission to Remain:

  • A valid passport
  • Any information requested in connection with the purpose of your arrival in Ireland.

In addition if you come within one of the following categories you will require certain specific documentation.


  • Letter of registration from your college or school verifying the duration and nature of the course or examination.
  • Evidence that your fees have been paid.
  • Evidence that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself for the period of your proposed stay.
  • Evidence that you have private medical insurance.

Employee or Self-Employed

  • Original work permit.
  • Original green card permit.
  • Original intra-company transfer permit.
  • If you are operating a business in Ireland, you also need a Business Permission letter from the Minister for Justice and Equality.

People not economically active, eg retired

If you are coming to Ireland and are not economically active (other than a student) and you intend to remain for longer than 3 months, then you must be able to show that you have resources to cover your stay without recourse to public funds, services or State benefits.

For example, this includes if you are retired and wish to live in Ireland.

Generally applications for this type of permission must be submitted through INIS.

Permission may only be granted in situations where you can demonstrate that you are not and will not become a burden in the State.

You must be able to show sufficient financial resources. For instance, you must have

  • Annual income of equal to €50,000.
  • Savings equal to the cost of buying a home in Ireland.
  • Comprehensive private Irish-based medical insurance.

If you meet the conditions above, you can then apply for Stamp 0.

The above is not an exhaustive list, and you may be asked for additional documentation in support of your application.

Note: Under no circumstances may you engage in activity for which you do not have the appropriate permission. For example, a person with Permission to Remain as a visitor must not work. Visa required nationals should ensure when applying for an Irish entry visa that they state the true and precise reasons for their seeking entry.

Durations of Permission to Remain

You will normally be given Permission to Remain for the duration of your stated purpose. Permission is generally granted on an annual basis.

Persons who have been issued with a General Employment Permit (formerly Work Permit) or Critical Skills Employment Permit (formerly Green Card) will be granted residency of up to 12 months (renewable thereafter in the case of a 2-year Employment Permit).

How to obtain Long Term Residence in Ireland

The following categories of persons may apply for long-term residence permission:

  • Persons who have completed 5 years (60 months) legal residence on the basis of work permit conditions ( i.e. 60 months Stamp 1 endorsement in passport and corresponding work permits) may apply to Unit 3 - Residence Division for a 5 year residency extension.

If successful, you will be granted an exemption from employment permit requirements.

Periods of residence in the State for the purpose of study; as a temporary registered doctor, intra-company transfer or holiday working visa do not count for this purpose.

The following documents together with a covering letter of application clearly indicating the passport endorsements (totalling 60 months) relating to each work permit are required:

  • Copy of work permits
  • Copy of Certificate of Registration (GNIB Card)
  • Clear and legible copy passport including all endorsements
  • If your passport has expired since arrival in the State, please submit copies of both passports

Applicants are also advised to keep their Permission to Remain up to date at all times (including while their application is being processed.)

Renew your Permission to Remain

Your Permission to Remain should never be allowed to lapse. The onus is on you to ensure that this does not happen.

You should apply to the Registration Officer responsible for the area in which you reside in good time to have your Permission extended.

You will be required to submit documentation relating to your reasons for seeking further Permission to Remain i.e. work permit holder must submit a new work permit, and evidence of employment.

If you are refused Permission to Remain

If you are refused Permission to Remain you will be informed of the reasons and given the opportunity to leave the State voluntarily within a specified period.

Failure to depart voluntarily may result in you being subject to deportation.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 8 September 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page