Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

You do not need a visa to join your spouse, partner or family (who is a non-Irish, non-Swiss & non-EU/EEA citizen) living in Ireland - or to accompany them if they are moving to Ireland.

However, you will need permission to stay with them for more than 90 days. You must also register with immigration.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to join a non-Irish, non-Swiss or non-EU/EEA citizen family member in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel


If you are travelling to Ireland for the purpose of joining your:

  • De Facto Partner on a Critical Skills Employment Permit or a Hosting Agreement
  • UK National family member

you will need to apply for Preclearance before you travel. Further details are available here:Preclearance


When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport and other documents, including proof of your family relationship.

There are extra rules if you are travelling with children under 18.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

Only some types of family relationship are permitted. Read more about how to apply for permission to stay with a family member in Ireland.

If your application is successful, find out how to register with immigration.

During your stay

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

If you intend to travel to Northern Ireland, you should check with United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you must prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to enter Ireland every time you return.

Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for each return journey before you travel.

Help & information


Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 30 December 2020