Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

You do not need a visa to come to Ireland. However you will need to apply for preclearance permission before travelling to Ireland to work as as a religious minister, eg to conduct ceremonies and similar (as described below).

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to work as a minister of religion in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for a preclearance

You must apply for and receive Preclearance before you travel.

There are several special conditions for coming to Ireland as a volunteer.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so, you will need your passport, visa and several other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

During your stay

Bringing your family Ireland

Your family can apply to join you in Ireland.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

If you intend to travel to Northern Ireland, check with the United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you must prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to enter Ireland every time you return.

Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for each return journey, before you travel.

Conditions & costs

Conditions to be a minister of religion

There are some special conditions to come to Ireland as a minister of religion.


To register with immigration (after you arrive in Ireland):

Help & information


Residence Division Unit 2 (Minster of Religion)
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70



Registration Office
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)


Preclearance Unit
Visa Division
Immigration Service Delivery
6 – 7 Hanover Street
Dublin 2, D02 W320




If you have questions, contact us.

Updated:19 November 2019