Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

You do not need a visa to come to Ireland. However, you will need permission to stay in Ireland to study, eg degree level course, English language course or any programme on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP). You must also register with immigration.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to study in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Enroll on a course & pay for your study

You must enroll on and pay for your course of study before you travel to Ireland.

Read how to apply for permission to study full time in Ireland, including undergraduate, postgraduate, language study, semester abroad & more.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, proof you have registered on a course and other documents.

You must also prove that you can support yourself financially after you enter the country. If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

Read a longer description about financial requirements for students.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date stamped on your passport at border control.

If you don't get permission and register on time, you may have to leave the country.

During your stay

Bringing your family to Ireland

In general, you cannot bring your family with you to Ireland as a student, though there are some exceptions.

However, your family members can apply to come here independently if they wish.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

If you intend to travel to Northern Ireland, you should check with United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you must prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to enter Ireland every time you return.

Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for each return journey before you travel.

Working while you study

In some circumstances, you may be allowed to work while you study. However, there are limits as to what you can do and how much you can work.

Work in Ireland after you finish your studies

In some circumstances, you may be allowed to work in Ireland after finishing your studies via the Third Level Graduate Programme.

Help & information


Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page