Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

Notice: Beware of email scams that ask for money to get a job in Ireland

Beware of emails that ask you to pay for an 'International Employment Eligibility Clearance and Security Bond' to get a job in Ireland. If you are asked for money and you are uncertain in any way, contact us.

Read more about possible fraud (22 September 2016)

You do not need a visa to come to Ireland. However, you will need permission to stay here for work. You must also register with immigration.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to work in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for immigration permission to work

You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you travel to Ireland.

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. Permission will only be granted for work that is highly skilled or where there is a skill shortage in Ireland.

You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, original employment contract and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Exceptions & special programmes

Working Holiday Programme for young people

This programme allows young people to come to Ireland for a working holiday. Only young people from certain countries can apply and places are limited.

If successful, you must then follow normal immigration procedures (as described above).

Work transfer from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland (Van der Elst)

You do not need to apply for immigration permission to work in Ireland if you are employed by a company in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and you are being sent to work here by your employer (up to a maximum of 12 months).

This status is called 'Van der Elst' (with reference to a 1994 European Court of Justice ruling).

However, you must request permission to enter Ireland for work when you arrive at border control. Make sure to bring appropriate documents with you when you travel, eg proof of employment. You must also register with immigration after you enter the country.

Academic visiting a university or educational institution in Ireland

There are special conditions for visiting academics.

In summary, you can work in Ireland for up to 9 months though you cannot be paid by the institution you are visiting. However, you can continue to be paid by your home university or another institution outside this country.

During your stay

Bringing your family to Ireland

Your family can apply to join you in Ireland.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

If you intend to travel to Northern Ireland, check with the United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you must prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to enter Ireland every time you return.

Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for each return journey, before you travel.

Conditions & costs

When to apply

Apply for permission to work in Ireland at least 1 month before you travel.


To apply for permission to work (before you travel to Ireland):

To register with immigration (after you arrive in Ireland):

Help & information

Work permits

Employment Permits Section
Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation
Davitt House
65a Adelaide Road
Dublin 2
D02 TW27



Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 6 November 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page

Page history

6 November 2017

Contact details for DBEI changed from DJEI.

20 January 2017

Page published.