Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

You do not need a visa to come to Ireland. If you hold a valid Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen you may use it to accompany or join your family member in Ireland.

This card is connected with your family member's free movement rights under EU treaties.

('Residence Card of a Family Member of a Union Citizen' is sometimes shortened to 'EU Family Residence Card'.)

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to join your EU/EEA or Swiss family member in Ireland for less than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

EU treaty rights & EU Family Residence Card

Read more about:

During your stay

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

Check with the United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Help & information

EU Treaty Rights

EU Treaty Rights Applications Unit
Residence Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70




If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page