Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You do not need a visa

You do not need a visa to come to Ireland. However, you must notify the Registrar of Civil Marriages that you wish to marry here.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a non-visa required country and you wish to come to Ireland for less than 3 months to get married. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply to Registrar of Civil Marriages in Ireland

You must receive an acknowledgement from the Registrar of Civil Marriages in Ireland that you wish to marry, before you travel.

The acknowledgement indicates the date that you officially notified the Registrar of your intention to marry in Ireland.

You must apply to the Registrar a minimum of 3 months before you intend to marry.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport and other documents, eg acknowledgement from the Registrar of Civil Marriages.

There are extra rules if you are travelling with children under 18.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

During your stay

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

If you intend to travel to Northern Ireland, check with the United Kingdom authorities if you need a visa.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and come back to Ireland during your stay, you will have prove to an immigration officer that you have a valid reason to re-enter Ireland every time you return.

Make sure you have any necessary documents with you for your return journey, before you travel.

After you marry

If you marry someone who lives in Ireland

If you marry someone who lives in Ireland (eg an Irish citizen, an EU/EEA citizen, a Swiss citizen or a non-EU/EEA/Swiss citizen who is legally resident here) and your joint plan is to live here long-term, there are special immigration rules that you must follow.

Help & information

Registrar of Civil Marriages

General Register Office
Government Offices
Convent Road

Tel: +353 90 663 2900
Locall: 1890 25 20 76



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page