Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Register to join your spouse or civil partner

To join your spouse or civil partner in Ireland for longer than 90 days, you must first apply for immigration permission.

If your application is successful, you will then be sent a letter with information about your permission including how to register with immigration.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Immigration permission

Apply for permission to reside on the basis of marriage (or civil partnership) to an Irish national

'Permission to reside on the basis of marriage (or civil partnership) to an Irish national' is an immigration status that may allow you to stay with your spouse or civil partner in Ireland.

Read a longer description of this permission and how to apply.

Applications may take 12 months to process.

Successful application

If your application for immigration permission is successful, you will be sent a letter that includes information about the permission granted to you and what to do next.

This includes how to register with immigration.

If you applied but have not received a response or a letter, contact Spouse of Irish National Unit (SIN/SOIN) for an update.

Important: Permission will be refused if it is discovered you are in a 'sham marriage'. If you are already in the country, you will be deported.

Immigration registration

Before travelling to Ireland, check if you need a visa.

If you are granted permission to enter Ireland, an immigration officer at border control will stamp your passport and then add a date to the stamp.

You must visit a registration office in person before this date to:

  • Extend your immigration permission, ie for longer than 90 days
  • Register your details

If you don't register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Consult your letter for detailed information about how to register or read a summary of the registration process.

Help & information

Residence Division (Units 5 and 6)
Spouse of Irish National Unit (SIN/SOIN)
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
PO Box 12695
Dublin 2
D02 XK70



Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 18 December 2017

Page history

18 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

5 September 2016

Page published.