Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Report a lost or stolen Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card

Follow the steps below to apply for a replacement Irish Registration Permit (IRP) if your current IRP or GNIB card is lost or stolen.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

1. Report to An Garda Síochána

Visit your local Garda station to report that your Irish Registration Permit (IRP) or GNIB card has been lost or stolen. A garda will then take your details.

If the garda is satisfied that your IRP/GNIB card is lost or stolen, they will give you an official incident report.


2. Make a registration office appointment

Make an appointment to visit your local registration office to submit the official incident report from An Garda Síochána.

If you live in Dublin City or county

Book an appointment online to visit Burgh Quay Registration Office in Dublin City centre. Do not go to Burgh Quay without an appointment. You will not be seen.

Book a registration appointment online

When booking choose:

  • Category: 'Other'
  • Sub-category: 'Lost card' or 'Stolen card' as appropriate

If you live outside Dublin City or county

Contact the registration office nearest to where you live and ask for an appointment to report a lost or stolen IRP/GNIB card with the registration officer.

See a list of regional registration offices

Registration offices are located at Garda stations around the country. The local registration officer will then arrange a date/time to meet you.

3. Visit your registration office

You must bring the following when you go to the registration office:

  • Your current passport, containing your active permission stamp
  • Original incident report from An Garda Síochána
  • Any other documents or information you needed the last time you registered or renewed

At the registration office, a registration officer will examine your documents and investigate your lost or stolen IRP/GNIB card.

4. Obtain your new Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

If your Irish Registration Permit (IRP) or GNIB card has not been found or handed in, the registration officer will arrange to issue you with a new IRP.

The process for issuing IRPs is different if you register in Dublin or outside Dublin.

In some cases, you may also have to pay the normal €300 fee to obtain a replacement.

Issuing IRPs in Dublin

If your visit is successful, the registration officer will send your replacement IRP to you by post.

Make sure to confirm your exact address (including Eircode) before you leave the registration office.

Your IRP should arrive within 5 to 10 working days. If it does not arrive, contact us.

Issuing IRPs outside Dublin

If your visit is successful, the registration officer will arrange a new date/time for you to return to the office to collect your IRP.

You cannot get a IRP during your initial visit because parts of the process are managed centrally.

You must return to the registration office to collect your new IRP.


Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 8 December 2017