Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Register to join your family member as an elderly, dependent relative

To stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days as the elderly, dependent relative of a non-EU/EEA and Swiss citizen, you must apply for immigration permission.

If your application is successful, you will then be sent a letter with information about your permission including how to register with immigration.

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Immigration permission

Apply for stamp 0 immigration permission

Immigration permission to join a family member (who is a non-EU/EEA and non-Swiss citizen) as an elderly, dependent relative is covered by the conditions of immigration stamp 0.

Stamp 0 may only be granted if you can prove that your relative can support you fully and completely.

In addition, your relative must hold an appropriate permission to sponsor an application by you and must also be registered with immigration.

Stamp 0 is subject to several conditions and limitations. For example, it does not allow you to access any public services, eg health services or public hospitals.

Applications normally take 12 months to process.

Read a longer description about how to apply.

Successful application

If your application for stamp 0 permission is successful, you will be sent a letter that includes information about the permission granted to you and what to do next.

This includes how to register with immigration.

If you applied for Stamp 0 but have not received a response or a letter, contact Residence Division (Unit 2) for an update.

Immigration registration

Before travelling to Ireland, check if you need a visa.

If you are granted permission to enter Ireland, an immigration officer at border control will stamp your passport and then add a date to the stamp.

You must visit a registration office in person before this date to:

  • Extend your immigration permission, ie for longer than 90 days
  • Register your details

If you don't register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Consult your letter for detailed information about how to register or read a summary of the registration process.

Help & information

Residence Division (Unit 2)
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70



Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 18 December 2017

Page history

18 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

5 September 2016

Page published.