Renew Stamp 4 based on living with your Irish spouse or civil partner

To remain in Ireland lawfully when your current Stamp 4 expires, you must renew your immigration permission and registration in person at a registration office.

Your application will be considered with reference to Permission to reside on the basis of marriage (or civil partnership) to an Irish national. If successful, you'll be given a fresh stamp in your passport and a new Certificate of Registration (GNIB card).

You want to renew Stamp 4 based on living with your Irish spouse or civil partner. Change your answers

Confirm your expiry date

The expiry date for your current immigration permission & registration is shown in your passport and on your Certificate of Registration (GNIB card).

To apply for a renewal, you must visit a registration office within the 2 week period before expiry.

If you do not renew in time, future applications could be affected by gaps in your immigration record. In some circumstances, you may have to leave the country.

Prepare to renew

When you were first granted permission to stay in Ireland, you may have received a letter with information about your permission and related conditions.

If you received a letter, follow the instructions it contains about how to renew, eg documents and other evidence you need.

If you did not receive a letter, read this description of the renewal process and what happens next.

Important: Permission will be refused if it is discovered you are in a 'sham marriage'. If you are already in the country, you will be deported.

Help & information

Residence Division (Units 5 and 6)
Spouse of Irish National Unit (SIN/SOIN)
Irish Naturalisation & Immigration Service
PO Box 12695
Dublin 2
D02 XK70




If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 5 September 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page