Register based on work as a Visiting Academic

To stay in Ireland as a Visiting Academic (at a college or university) for longer than 90 days, you must first apply for Stamp 0 permission from the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS).

If your application is successful, you will be sent a letter with information about your permission including how to register. Read a summary of the registration process.

If you have not applied for Stamp 0 or have not yet received a letter or reply, find out what to do next below.

You plan to be a visiting academic at a college or university in Ireland. Change your answers

Apply for permission

Stamp 0

Stamp 0 permission may allow you to live in Ireland for over 90 days.

It is only granted if you can prove you are fully financially self-sufficient, and is subject to several conditions and limitations.

Read a longer description about how to apply.

Applications normally take 2 to 3 months to process.

Stamp 0 for a Visiting Academic

If your application is successful you may be allowed to stay in Ireland for up to 9 months, though you cannot be paid by any institution you visit.

However, you can continue to be paid by your home university or another institution outside this country.

Permission letter

If your application for Stamp 0 is successful, you will be sent a letter that includes information about the permission granted to you and what to do next.

This includes how to register with immigration.

If you applied for Stamp 0 but have not received a response or a letter, contact Residence Division (Unit 2) for an update.

Immigration & registration

Before travelling to Ireland, check if you need a visa.

If you are allowed into Ireland, an immigration officer at border control will stamp your passport and then add a date to the stamp.

You must visit a registration office in person before this date to:

  • Confirm the permission in your letter, ie to be a Visiting Academic
  • Register your details with immigration

If you don't register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Consult your letter for detailed information about how to register or read a summary of the registration process.

Help & information

Residence Division (Unit 2)
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70




If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 5 September 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page