Registration based on Employment Permit

To stay in Ireland for work that will last for more than 90 days based on an Employment Permit, you must apply in person at a registration office.

If successful, you'll be given permission to stay (subject to conditions) and registered with immigration.

Your exact preparations depend on your personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You plan to work in Ireland based on an Employment Permit. Change your answers

Before you travel to Ireland

Apply for an Employment Permit

You must apply for and receive an Employment Permit before you travel to Ireland. Several types of permit are available including for critical skills, internships and more.

You cannot apply for your first Employment Permit when in Ireland, except in special circumstances.

Check if you need a visa

After you receive your permit, check if you need a visa. If you need a visa, apply for a Long Stay (D) Visa.

If you come to Ireland using a Short Stay (C) Visa, you will not be allowed to register. You will have to leave the country and reapply.

Bringing your family or children to Ireland

Your family (eg spouse, partner, children) can apply to join you in Ireland.

If your family joins you, anyone aged 16 or older must also register.

When you arrive in Ireland

Check your registration date

If you are allowed into Ireland, an immigration officer at border control will stamp your passport and then add a date to the stamp.

You must visit a registration office in person before this date to:

  • Apply for permission to stay here, ie to study
  • Register your details with immigration

If you don't get permission/register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Find a registration office

If you live in Dublin City or county

You must go to Burgh Quay Registration Office in Dublin City centre.

Before you visit, you must book an appointment online. For best choice, book your appointment 10 weeks in advance.

Book a registration appointment online

Do not go to Burgh Quay without an appointment, as you will not be allowed to register.

If you live outside Dublin City or county

You must go to the registration office nearest to where you live. Registration offices are located at Garda Síochána (police) stations around the country.

See a list of regional registration offices

You may need an appointment to visit a regional registration office. Contact your local office before you visit to check opening days & times.

When you register

Documents you will need

You must bring:

  • Your passport
  • Your original Employment Permit

If these are missing, you cannot be given permission to stay in Ireland and won't be registered.

Cost & payment options

You must pay a fee of €300 per person to register. You can pay by:

  • Bank giro: A giro is a pre-printed form and can be collected from any registration office.
  • Credit card or debit card: These can be used at Burgh Quay Registration Office and some others.

Contact your local office to confirm payment options before you arrive.

Visit the registration office

At the registration office an immigration officer will examine your documents and decide if you should be given permission.

They will also record your personal details for registration (eg fingerprints & photo) and collect the €300 fee.

Most visits take about 1 hour, including some waiting periods.

Read more about what happens when you visit a registration office.

If your visit is successful

Before you leave the registration office, the immigration officer will:

  • Put a stamp in your passport to grant you permission to stay
  • Give you a Certificate of Registration to show you have been registered

The type of stamp indicates the conditions of your permission, including the:

  • Activities you can - and cannot do - in Ireland
  • Time period you are allowed to stay

The Certificate of Registration (also called a 'GNIB card') indicates that:

  • Your permission to stay here has been registered
  • It also includes the name of the stamp in your passport

Certificates of Registration are called 'GNIB cards' because they are often issued by the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).

There are several types of stamp with different names, eg Stamp 0, Stamp 1. Each one indicates a type of permission.

In most cases you will be given Stamp 1 for permission to work based on an Employment Permit.

However, you could get a different stamp based on the judgement of the immigration officer. Read a longer description about stamps and permission.

After you register

Update or modify your details

You should inform us if your personal details or circumstances change, for example:

  • The reasons underlying your permission change, eg you lose your job
  • You change your home/postal address
  • Other details change, eg you change your name

You should also contact us if there is a problem with your documents (eg we misspelled your name) or if you lose or damage your Certificate of Registration (GNIB card).

Renew your registration

Permission expiry & renewal

Permission to work based on an Employment Permit is usually valid for 12 months.

If you wish to stay in Ireland longer, you must renew your permission & registration before they expire.

If you do not renew in time, future applications could be affected by gaps in your record. In some circumstances, you may have to leave the country.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 2 November 2016

Tell us about any issues on this page

Page history

2 November 2016

Text change from: "For best choice, book your appointment 6 weeks in advance."

5 September 2016

Page published.