Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


Registration for a working holiday

To stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days using a Working Holiday Authorisation, you must apply in person at a registration office.

If successful, you'll be given permission to stay (subject to conditions) and registered with immigration.

1. About registration

IMPORTANT: From 11 December 2017 the previous registration certificate (GNIB card) has been replaced by the new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

Registration is how we record that you have been given permission to stay in Ireland for longer than 90 days. Read more about registration.

To register, you must apply in person at a registration office. If your visit is successful, you will be given a registration certificate called an Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

2. Before you travel to Ireland

Young people from certain countries can apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation to come to Ireland for up to 1 year.

Places are limited and you cannot apply if you are already in Ireland.

Plan your journey carefully. It is your responsibility to make sure you have everything you need to enter the country, eg documents for border control.

3. When you arrive in Ireland

If you are allowed into the country at border control, an immigration officer will place a landing stamp in your passport.

The landing stamp gives you permission to stay here up to the date indicated (typically 90 days).

You must visit a registration office before the date on the landing stamp expires to:

  • Extend your permission to stay (ie longer than 90 days), and
  • Be registered by immigration

If you don't get permission/register in time, you may have to leave the country.

4. Where to register

If you live in Dublin City or county

You must go to Burgh Quay Registration Office in Dublin City centre.

Before you visit, you must book an appointment online. Do not go to Burgh Quay without an appointment. You will not be allowed to register.

Book a registration appointment online

Book your appointment up to 10 weeks in advance. You may also book before you travel to Ireland, if you know for certain when you will arrive here.

If you live outside Dublin City or county

You must go to the registration office nearest to where you live. Registration offices are located at Garda Síochána (police) stations around the country.

See a list of regional registration offices

You may need an appointment to visit a regional registration office. Contact your local office before you visit to check opening days and times.

5. When you register

Prepare the documents you need

You must bring the following when you go to register:

  • Your passport
  • Your original Working Holiday Authorisation

If any of these are missing, you cannot be given permission to stay and won't be registered.

Cost & payment

You must pay a fee of €300 per person to register. You can pay by:

  • Bank giro: A giro is a pre-printed form and can be collected from any registration office
  • Credit/debit card: These can be used at Burgh Quay Registration Office and some others

Contact your local office to confirm payment options before you arrive.

Visit your registration office

At the registration office an immigration officer will examine your documents and decide whether to extend your immigration permission and register you. Read more about what happens at a registration office.

If approved, the immigration officer will:

The process for issuing stamps and IRPs is different if you register in Dublin or outside Dublin.

About your permission stamp and Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

Permission stamp

A permission stamp gives you permission to stay in Ireland. It also indicates the:

  • Activities you can and cannot do here, eg work
  • Time period you are allowed to stay

Your passport will (typically) be stamped with permission stamp 1 for working holiday permission.

You cannot be granted permission past the expiry date of your passport.

Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

The Irish Residence Permit (IRP) is your registration certificate. It indicates:

  • That your permission to stay in Ireland has been registered
  • The type of permission you have, ie stamp number

You must carry your IRP with you at all times and present it to an immigration officer or a member of An Garda Síochána (police), if requested.

IMPORTANT: An Irish Residence Permit (IRP) does not allow you to travel to or live freely in other EU countries. All existing travel and immigration rules still apply.

Registration in Dublin

If your visit is successful, the immigration officer will stamp your passport and register you before your appointment ends. Your IRP will then be sent to you by post.

Make sure to confirm your exact address (including Eircode) before you leave the registration office.

Your IRP should arrive a few days later. If it does not arrive within 10 working days, contact us.

Registration outside Dublin

If your visit is successful, the immigration officer will record your details and arrange a new date/time for you to return to the office to finish your registration.

Your registration cannot be completed at the first visit because parts of the process are managed centrally.

At your second visit, the immigration officer will stamp your passport, register you and give you your IRP.

You must return to the registration office to get your stamp and IRP. If not, you may become illegally present in this country.

6. After you register

If your Irish Residence Permit (IRP) does not arrive (Dublin only)

Your IRP should arrive by post within 10 to 15 working days.

You must contact us if it does not arrive within 15 working days.

We will then investigate and (if necessary) prepare a replacement for you.

Lost or stolen Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

You must contact us if your IRP is lost or stolen.

We will then investigate and (if necessary) prepare a replacement for you.

Update or modify your registration details

Contact us to update your registration if your personal details or circumstances change, for example:

  • Your activity in Ireland changes
  • We made an error, eg we misspelled your name
  • Other details change, eg you change your name/gender

In some cases, we may issue you with a new Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

7. Manage permission & registration

Permission and registration expiry

Most working holiday permission is valid for 12 months.

You cannot apply to renew your permission based on a Working Holiday Authorisation.

Before your permission and registration expires, you will have to leave the country.


Contact & help

If you have questions, check the support centre for help.

Updated: 8 December 2017

Page history

8 December 2017

Descriptions updated to reflect change from 'GNIB card' to Irish Residence Permit (IRP).

2 November 2016

Text change from: "For best choice, book your appointment 6 weeks in advance."

5 September 2016

Page published.