INIS services

The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) provides immigration, citizenship, asylum protection services and more. Read a longer description about INIS and what we do.


You may need a visa to come to Ireland if you are a non-EU/EEA & non-Swiss national.

Immigration permission

Apply for permission if you want to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days.


If you get permission to stay in Ireland, you must register yourself with immigration.


Irish citizenship can be acquired by naturalisation, by descent and by entitlement.


You may apply for protection if you cannot return to your home country because you fear persecution.

Irish Passenger Information Unit

This unit collects and processes Passenger Name Record (PNR) data in order to prevent, detect, investigate and prosecute terrorism and serious crime. The web pages for this section have migrated to the ISD (Immigration Service Delivery) website -

Additional services

INIS also oversees repatriation, implements immigration policy and supports the Minister for Justice in relation to asylum, immigration, visas and citizenship.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 18 December 2018