You need a visa for Ireland

You need an Employment (Scientific Researcher) Visa and other authorisations to come to Ireland to work.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to work as a researcher in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for immigration permission to work

You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you apply for a visa.

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

Apply for an Employment (Scientific Researcher) Visa

After you receive permission to work, apply for a long stay Employment (Scientific Researcher) Visa. All long stay visas are also called 'D' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so, you will need your passport, visa, original Hosting Agreement (or original working permission letter) and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Exceptions & special programmes

Academic visiting a university or educational institution in Ireland

There are special conditions for visiting academics.

In summary, you can work in Ireland for up to 9 months though you cannot be paid by the institution you are visiting. However, you can continue to be paid by your home university or another institution outside this country.

During your stay

Bringing your family to Ireland

If you are working under a Hosting Agreement, your family can apply to join you in Ireland. However, your family must be listed as part of the Hosting Agreement.

Your family cannot join you if you are working under the Atypical Working Scheme (unless otherwise approved).

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Re-entry Visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave Ireland for a short period and then come back again, you must apply for a Re-entry Visa.

You must have a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card to apply for a Re-entry Visa.

If you leave without a Re-entry Visa, you will not be allowed back into the country. You will have to apply again for a new visa.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg your Hosting Agreement.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Employment (Scientific Researcher) Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.

Other costs

To register with immigration (after you arrive in Ireland):

Help & information


Visa Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70



Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 6 November 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page