You need a visa for Ireland

You need a Study Visa to come to Ireland to study, eg degree level course, English language course or any programme on the Interim List of Eligible Programmes (ILEP).

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to visit Ireland for study for more than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Enroll on a course & pay for your study

You must enroll on and pay for your course of study before you apply for a visa.

Read how to apply for permission to study full time in Ireland, including undergraduate, postgraduate, language study, semester abroad & more.

Apply for a Study Visa

After you have paid for your course, you can apply for a long stay Study Visa. All long stay visas are also called 'D' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, visa, proof you have enrolled on a course (eg printed confirmation) and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date stamped on your passport at border control.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

During your stay

Bringing your family to Ireland

In general, you cannot bring your family with you to Ireland as a student, though there are some exceptions.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Re-entry Visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave Ireland for a short period and then come back again, you must apply for a Re-entry Visa.

You must have a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card to apply for a Re-entry Visa.

If you leave without a Re-entry Visa, you will not be allowed back into the country. You will have to apply again for a full visa.

Working while you study

In some circumstances, you may be allowed to work while you study. However, there are limits as to what you can do and the total hours you can work.

Working after you finish your studies

In some circumstances, you may be allowed to work in Ireland after you finish your studies, via the Third Level Graduate Programme.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg proof you have paid for your course and can support yourself in Ireland.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Study Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.

Other costs

To register with immigration (after you arrive in Ireland):

Help & information


Visa Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70



Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page