Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You need a visa for Ireland

Notice: Beware of email scams that ask for money to get a job in Ireland

Beware of emails that ask you to pay for an 'International Employment Eligibility Clearance and Security Bond' to get a job in Ireland. If you are asked for money and you are uncertain in any way, contact us.

Read more about possible fraud (22 September 2016)

You need an Employment Visa to come to Ireland to work.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to work in Ireland for longer than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for immigration permission to work

You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you apply for a visa.

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. Permission will only be granted for work that is highly skilled or where there is a skill shortage in Ireland.

You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

Apply for an Employment Visa

After you receive permission to work, apply for a long stay Employment Visa. All long stay visas are also called 'D' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, original employment contract and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

After you enter

Apply for permission to stay & register with immigration

After you enter the country, you must apply for permission to stay in Ireland and register with immigration before the date shown by the stamp in your passport.

If you don't get permission and register in time, you may have to leave the country.

Exceptions & special programmes

Work transfer from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland (Van der Elst)

You do not need apply for immigration permission to work in Ireland if you are employed by a company in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and you are being sent to work here by your employer (up to a maximum of 12 months).

This status is called 'Van der Elst' (with reference to a 1994 European Court of Justice ruling). If you qualify for Van der Elst status, apply for an Employment (Van der Elst) Visa.

Academic visiting a university or educational institution in Ireland

There are special conditions for visiting academics.

In summary, you can work in Ireland for up to 9 months though you cannot be paid by the institution you are visiting. However, you can continue to be paid by your home university or another institution outside this country.

During your stay

Bringing your family to Ireland

If you have a Critical Skills Employment Permit

Your family can apply to come with you to Ireland as part of your own visa application. Otherwise, your family may apply separately as soon as you arrive.

If your family applies with you, their application will be reviewed at the same time as your own. If they apply separately, they may have to wait up to 6 months to be reviewed.

If you have an Intra-company Transfer Employment Permit

Contact us for information.

If you have any other Employment Permit

Your family must wait 12 months after you arrive in Ireland before they can apply to join you.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a valid multi entry visa or a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card.

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave Ireland for a short period and then come back again, you must have a valid multi entry visa or a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card.

If you leave without a valid multi entry visa or a valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) or GNIB card, you will not be allowed back into the country. You will have to apply again for a new visa.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg to apply for an Employment Permit.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Employment Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.

Other costs

To apply for permission to work (before you apply for a visa):

To register with immigration (after you arrive in Ireland):

Help & information


Visa Division
Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70


Work permits

Employment Permits Section
Department of Business, Enterprise and Innovation
Davitt House
65a Adelaide Road
Dublin 2
D02 TW27



Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service
Department of Justice and Equality
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
D02 XK70

Email: (if you live in Dublin)
Email: (if you live outside Dublin)



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 13 May 2019

Tell us about any technical issues on this page

Page history

13 May 2019

Re-entry visa details removed.

6 November 2017

Contact details for DBEI changed from DJEI.

20 January 2017

Page published.