Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You need a visa for Ireland

You need a Performance/Tournament Visa to come to Ireland to participate in a sporting event or competitive tournament, eg football, dance, chess.

Note: Contact the Dublin Visa Office if you are organising a tournament in Ireland and expect that many of your participants will need a visa.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to visit Ireland to participate in a sport event or tournament for less than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for a Performance/Tournament Visa

You must apply for a short stay Performance/Tournament Visa. All short stay visas are also called 'C' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, visa, proof of your event in Ireland (eg a ticket) and several other documents.

There are extra rules if you are travelling with children under 18.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

During your stay in Ireland

Examples of activities you are permitted to do during your visit

You can participate in a sporting event or competitive tournament for up to 90 days, eg football, dance, chess, gaming or any other activity.

You must apply for permission to work if you will be paid to take part in an event for 15 days or more.

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Multiple Entry visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and return to Ireland during your stay, you can request a Multiple Entry visa when you apply.

Multiple Entry visas are approved in limited circumstances only, if justified by your application.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg hotel reservation, proof of venue.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Performance/Tournament Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page