Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You need a visa for Ireland

You need an Internship (unpaid) Visa to come to Ireland as an unpaid intern.

This can be for up to 90 days. You cannot get a visa to undertake an unpaid internship of more than 90 days. It is possible to have a paid internship of more than 90 days.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to become an intern (unpaid) in Ireland for less than 3 months. Change your answers


Apply for an Internship (Unpaid) Visa

To come to Ireland as an unpaid intern, you must apply for a short stay Internship (unpaid) visa. All short stay visas are also called 'C' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, visa, and other documents.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

During your stay

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Multiple Entry visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and return to Ireland during your stay, you can request a Multiple Entry visa when you apply.

Multiple Entry visas are approved in limited circumstances only, if justified by your application.

Application conditions


You must be a third-level student to become an intern in Ireland. In addition, your internship must be:

  • Related to your course of study
  • Integral or necessary for your course
  • Approved by your third level institution, eg university authorities

To apply for permission or a visa, you must have an official offer of internship or an employment contract. You will not be given permission to come to Ireland to look for an internship.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg internship offer, letter from your college.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Internship (Unpaid) Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.



If you have questions, contact us.

Published: 08 January 2021