Immigration Service Delivery has launched a new website available at

From July 28, 2021, this website will no longer be updated.


You need a visa for Ireland

Notice: Beware of email scams that ask for money to get a job in Ireland

Beware of emails that ask you to pay for an 'International Employment Eligibility Clearance and Security Bond' to get a job in Ireland. If you are asked for money and you are uncertain in any way, contact us.

Read more about possible fraud (22 September 2016)

You need an Employment (Atypical) Visa to come to Ireland to work.

Your exact preparations depend on your plans and personal circumstances. Some of the most important are described below. Read this information carefully to make sure you have everything you need.

You are from a visa required country and you wish to work in Ireland for less than 3 months. Change your answers


Before you travel

Apply for immigration permission to work

You must apply for and receive immigration permission to work in Ireland before you apply for a visa.

You must have a job offer or employment contract to apply. Permission will only be granted for work that is highly skilled or where there is a skill shortage in Ireland.

You will not be allowed to work in Ireland if you do not get immigration permission.

Apply for an Employment Visa

After you receive permission to work, apply for a short stay Employment (Atypical) Visa. All short stay visas are also called 'C' visas.

You will not be allowed to come to Ireland without a visa.

When you travel

Prepare for border control

You will need to prove that you have a valid reason for entering Ireland to an immigration officer at border control.

To do so you will need your passport, original employment contract and other documents.

There are extra rules if you are travelling with children under 18.

If you cannot satisfy the immigration officer, you will not be allowed into Ireland.

Exceptions & special circumstances

Work for 14 days or less

If your work starts and ends within a single 14 day period, you do not need to apply for immigration permission to work before you travel.

In this case, apply for a short stay Business Visa instead of an Employment Visa.

You must then request temporary permission to work when you arrive at border control. Make sure to bring appropriate documents with you when you travel, eg original contract.

Work transfer from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland (Van der Elst)

You do not need apply for immigration permission to work in Ireland if you are employed by a company in another EU/EEA country or Switzerland and you are being sent to work here by your employer (up to a maximum of 12 months).

This status is called 'Van der Elst' (with reference to a 1994 European Court of Justice ruling). If you qualify for Van der Elst status, apply for an Employment (Van der Elst) Visa.

Attend a job interview

You can only attend an interview for a job that is on the Highly Skilled Eligible Occupations (HSEO) list. To attend a job interview, apply for a visa under the category 'Other' (not 'Employment') when applying online.

If you are granted a visa and are then granted permission to enter Ireland at border control, the immigration officer may give you the Highly Skilled Job Interview passport stamp. This stamp includes extra flexibility when applying for an employment permit, if you are offered the job after interview.

During your stay

Travel to Northern Ireland & United Kingdom

You cannot travel to Northern Ireland using an Irish visa. You need a visa issued by the United Kingdom.

If you travel from the Republic of Ireland to Northern Ireland and then wish to return to the Republic, you must have a Multiple Entry visa (explained below).

Leaving & returning to Ireland

If you plan to leave and return to Ireland during your stay, you can request a Multiple Entry visa when your apply.

Multiple Entry visas are approved in limited circumstances only, if justified by your application.

How to apply

When to apply

You should apply for a visa 3 months before you travel.

You may need extra time to prepare documents to support your application, eg employment contract, original work permission letter.

How to apply

You must apply from your home country or a country where you are a legal resident:

  1. Read detailed instructions for the Employment Visa
  2. Submit your visa application online
  3. Send your passport and other documents for processing

You will be given instructions where to send your documents when you apply online.

Visa costs

Extra charges may apply for some applications, eg consular fees.



If you have questions, contact us.

Updated: 20 January 2017

Tell us about any issues on this page